Monday 19 March 2012

A Chanel for your thoughts (or your bookcase)...

Another book to add to your collection, The Little Black Jacket: Chanel's Classic Revisited  photographed by Karl Lagerfeld and Carine Roitfeld, it brings 100 celebrities/models/fashionistas wearing the ubiquitous cardigan jacket.   (Check out the behind the scenes video below and also the 'Making of a Chanel Jacket' video).

The (anything but) humble jacket with its simple straight lines, braiding, patch pockets and chain sewn in the hemline to give it 'just so' hang on your body, was designed by Coco Chanel when she returned to Paris in 1954.  And although she had already introduced a soft fluid jersey two piece suit for ladies before the war, after seeing the popularity of Christian Dior and his New Look whilst she was living Switzerland after the war, her competitive juices stirred and she introduced the bracelet sleeve length, tweeded, braided, chained jacket that we see today.  

If you've been fortunate enough to see a Chanel suit jacket up close you will be smitten by its timelessness and its impeccable finish.  One day I hope to own one (in black or charcoal), as, it is, for me, something that will withstand time and be a truly investment piece for my wardrobe - besides if its good enough for Jacqueline Kennedy, Elizabeth Taylor, Suzy Parkes, Stella Tennant, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Vanessa Paradis (to name a few), well then I think I could give it a go too.

What's your idea of a timeless piece - perhaps its a Burberry trench, a Hermes Birkin, a Gucci loafer or a piece of Bulgari jewellery?  Nevertheless, I'll wait until the book gets released some time later this year to add it to my bookshelf.

Stella Tennant - 'Chanel' 3 book set (Assouline)

Chanel Day Ensemble - late 50's
Fashion (Taschen)

I love this video of the behind the scenes of the photo shoot -


Behind the scenes - Karl with Carine
via fashionologie

And if you're a crafty person, you definitely appreciate this Making of a Chanel Jacket from sketch to final product - 
This made my fingers ache all over again

Vanessa Paradis
via magfashion
Spring2012rtw/ Spring2012couture/ Resort2012/ Prefall2012/ Fall2012
via style.com


3 comments:

C said...

Oh the Chanel jacket! How I love it!
Its as you say classic and perfect!
Plus it combines with everything!

classiq said...

I've seen the making of a Chanel jacket video and loved it. I had read an article a while ago in the French Vogue about the secrets of its making and I was impressed. This is definitely a book to add to my collection. As for pieces I would like to invest in: a Burberry trench and yes, a Chanel black jacket. I would choose these over any legendary bag, because I think I prefer a more discrete style when it comes to bags, stylish nonetheless, but something a little less obvious, a less recognisable design. xo
Ada

Neda said...

It's on my list of "someday" purchases as well. Such a classic. I can't wait until the book comes out. Btw~ I'm so glad we have the same taste in movies as well! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...